I successfully defended my PhD thesis in science in June 2006 at the Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium). Next, I was awarded a highly competitive fellowship obtained from the Belgian Fund for Scientific Research to conduct post-doctoral research in collaboration with scientific institutions in Finland and Switzerland.
In 2008, I was hired for a permanent position as a project leader at the Centre de Recherche Public – Gabriel Lippmann to establish and coordinate the national biodiversity-monitoring programme in Luxembourg.
In 2014, I moved to the Biodiversity and Landscape Ecology lab of the Forest Sciences Centre of Catalonia (Spain). As a representative of the European Bird Census Council (EBCC), I coordinated a LIFE project funded by the European Commission to develop the EuroBirdPortal and I participated in several international projects and initiatives.
Since 2017, I am working at the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv) to provide scientific support to one of the co-chairs of the Global Assessment report produced by the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES).
Read more on my work experience
Main research lines
- Understanding and predicting the impacts of global environmental change on ecosystems and biodiversity across a range of spatial and temporal scales
- Combining and analysing structured and unstructured biodiversity observation data to improve our understanding of biodiversity dynamics in space and time
- Evaluating the roles played by different factors in driving changes in the state of biodiversity across spatial scales
- Comparing the pros and cons of local and global approaches to understand and predict the impacts of environmental change on ecosystems and biodiversity
- Understanding habitat selection patterns and processes in human-modified environments
Biodiversity dynamics, biodiversity monitoring, climate change, conservation biogeography, geographical information systems, impact assessment, landscape ecology, land use change, numerical ecology, predictive modelling, spatial ecology, species distribution modelling, statistical analyses